Haywood County is a county located in the western part of the state of North Carolina, USA.
What You Need To Know About Haywood County, NC
Here are some key facts and information about Haywood County:
- Location: Haywood County is situated in the western region of North Carolina, in the southern Appalachian Mountains. It is bordered by several other North Carolina counties, including Buncombe County to the east and Jackson County to the west. The county is known for its scenic beauty and proximity to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- County Seat: The county seat of Haywood County is Waynesville, which is also the largest town in the county. Waynesville is a charming mountain town known for its historic downtown area, with shops, restaurants and cultural attractions.
- Geography: The county's landscape is characterized by the rugged terrain of the Appalachian Mountains. It includes high peaks, valleys and numerous streams and rivers. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park partially extends into Haywood County, offering outdoor enthusiasts opportunities for hiking, camping and wildlife viewing.
- Economy: Historically, Haywood County's economy was based on agriculture, with tobacco and dairy farming being important industries. Over the years, the economy has diversified, and tourism has become a significant driver due to the county's natural beauty and outdoor recreational opportunities. Manufacturing and healthcare also play important roles in the local economy.
- Education: The county is served by the Haywood County Schools district, which includes several public elementary, middle and high schools. There are also private and charter schools in the area. Higher education opportunities are available through Haywood Community College, which provides vocational and technical training programs.
- Culture and Recreation: Haywood County is known for its rich cultural heritage, including traditional Appalachian music and crafts. The Folkmoot USA International Festival, held in Waynesville, showcases cultural performances from around the world. Outdoor enthusiasts can explore the Great Smoky Mountains, go hiking in the Pisgah National Forest, or enjoy activities such as fishing, skiing and whitewater rafting.
- Tourism: Tourism is a significant industry in Haywood County, thanks to its proximity to the Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Visitors come to the area to enjoy outdoor activities, explore the national parks and forests, and experience the vibrant arts and culture scene in towns like Waynesville and Maggie Valley.
- Population: The population of Haywood County has experienced gradual growth over the years. As of September 2021, the population was around 63,000 people.
Haywood County is a picturesque and culturally rich part of North Carolina, offering residents and visitors a blend of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, and a sense of Appalachian heritage. If you plan to visit or live in the area, it's advisable to check for updated information and resources from local authorities and organizations.
Haywood Christian Academy in Haywood County, North Carolina
Haywood Christian Academy is a dual accredited private Christian school offering kindergarten through twelfth grade in western North Carolina.
The faculty and staff at Haywood Christian Academy passionately believe that all students are uniquely gifted by God and that every student has the potential to move forward academically if they are given the appropriate instruction and tools to do so.
Come visit our campus and see why we are a school of distinction. A brief meeting with the Head of the School will offer you a glimpse of why private education is a unique offer that encompasses an educational experience for the whole child. Contact us to learn more about how Haywood Christian Academy can partner with you to create that educational experience for your child.