Seven Questions To Ask When Researching Christian Private Schools
1) What is your school's mission?
The answer to this question will say more about the school than anything else you will ask. This will explain the guiding principles by which the faculty and administrative staff operate. For a Christian private school, their mission will reveal how much emphasis they place on honoring God. At Haywood Christian Academy, our mission is to develop students into Christian leaders by providing an excellent educational experience on a foundation of Biblical truth.
Learning a school's mission may tell you enough to decide whether your child should or should not apply and enroll.
2) What does your school believe?
If a private school is not religiously affiliated, it may not have a statement of faith. However, religious and Christian schools should have written statements about what they believe. At Haywood Christian Academy, everything we do is guided by our mission, values, and beliefs. A few of our core beliefs include:
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative, inerrant Word of God
- We believe there is one God, eternally existent in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
- We believe in the deity of Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His vicarious and atoning death, His resurrection, His Ascension to the right hand of the Father and His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe in the absolute necessity of regeneration by the Holy Spirit for salvation because of the exceeding sinfulness of human nature, and that people are justified on the single ground of faith in the shed blood of Christ and that only by God’s grace and through faith alone are we saved.
While this is not a comprehensive statement of faith, it paints a picture of some of our core values.
3) What is the quality of education?
As a Christian private school, we believe that all truth and knowledge is from God. We place a high value on education; every subject should be taught with excellence to glorify God. From English to history to math to science to athletics, everything we teach is taught through the lens of a biblical worldview. We want our students to have a thorough understanding of every subject in the context of biblical truths, so they can better understand and communicate the gospel to the world around them.
4) What athletic and extracurricular activities do you offer?
While athletics may not necessarily be as important as a school's mission, statement of faith, and commitment to quality academics, sports and extracurricular activities provide opportunities for students to put into practice what they are learning in the classroom. Some of our offerings outside the classroom include:
- Fine arts
- Mission trips
Our coaches, music directors, and extracurricular activity facilitators emphasize character over skill. However, learning how to work together as a team and improve one's abilities is invaluable. We strive to have quality athletics and arts programs at Haywood Christian Academy.
5) What are the opportunities for students to serve?
Students at our school have opportunities to serve their community and beyond. However, it is not just about doing projects but sharing the good news of Jesus with western North Carolina and the world.
6) What can my child expect beyond school?
One of our primary concerns at Haywood Christian Academy is preparing students for life beyond grades preschool through twelve. Whether your student wants to go on to pursue higher education in college, learn a trade and launch into a career, or serve God on the mission field, you can expect them to receive support during and after their time at Haywood Christian Academy.
7) What is the role of parents at your school?
Schools will have varying opinions on how involved parents should be in their children's academics. At HCA, we believe that parents have a pivotal role to play in the education of their children. We want to help you facilitate a healthy amount of support as your child learns and grows. You can expect our faculty and staff to provide advice on how to make sure your child has the best educational experience possible as we partner with you.
Haywood Christian Academy is a private school located in Waynesville, NC. We would love to answer your questions and tell you more about what sets our school apart. Contact Haywood Christian Academy for more information about the school and to schedule a tour.
If you'd like even more information to help power your private school research, read our article Are Charter Schools Preferable to Public Institutions?