Family Advent Celebration Waynesville, NC
With all that has happened this school year, it’s hard to believe the holiday season is already here. In just a few short weeks, families will be gathering with loved ones across western North Carolina to enjoy a meal and remind each other of all the ways in which they are thankful. On the heels of Thanksgiving, the Christmas season will begin.
It is easy to get distracted from the true reason we celebrate Christmas. From shopping for presents to shuffling various family gatherings, the season can come and go before we realize it.
At HCA, it is important for us to help families celebrate Advent together. Here are a few ways Waynesville parents can make sure their children get to focus on Jesus this Christmas season.
How to Celebrate Advent as a Family in Waynesville, NC
1) Take Time to Sing Advent Hymns
The music of Advent can help your family focus on the miraculous birth of Christ and the purpose of the incarnation:
- Hark the Herald Angels Sing: The last verse discusses the purpose of Christ’s Advent. He came to live sinlessly and die in our place so He could make those who have faith be born again, not of flesh, but of the Spirit.
- Joy To The World: This Isaac Watts hymn is one of the most ubiquitous songs of the season. It tells the story of Christ’s Advent as well as the future He came to establish – one in which all the nations can know God.
- Silent Night: This beautiful, serene hymn sings not just about Jesus as a baby, but about the glory of God revealed in Him.
2) Study and Advent Devotional
There are free and low-cost daily and weekly Advent devotionals that help explain texts related to the incarnation of Jesus. Not only will these family devotionals help you study the Gospels, but many will demonstrate Old Testament connections to the birth of Jesus.
3) Make an Advent Wreath
One of the most impactful and beautiful ways to learn the Christmas narrative with your family is through Advent wreaths.
4) Remember to Gather with the Saints
Gathering with your church during the Advent season will help emphasize Matthew 1:21, “She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”
5) Remember to Focus on Advent
Helping your children focus on the real reason to celebrate Advent begins with parents. It is vital to make sure you remember the fact that we are remembering the incarnation of Christ during this season.
Haywood Christian Academy is a Christian private school in Waynesville, North Carolina. We emphasize the gospel in every class and activity because first and foremost, we want our students to follow Jesus. At the same time, we are committed to providing a challenging, rigorous academic experience.
If you would like to know more about how your child can thrive at our school, we would love to answer your questions. Contact HCA for more information, and to tell us how you celebrate Advent together!