8 Family Outing Ideas for Waynesville, NC
Waynesville has a lot to offer when it comes to outdoor activities. Being located within the Great Smoky Mountains, there’s a lot of beautiful nature to see, and that is easily accessible. Everything from mountains and water features to animal encounters, Waynesville does not fall short on the list of outdoor experiences for the spring.
If you’re searching for ways to make the most of spring with your family around Waynesville, below we have some adventures to consider:
- Winchester Creek Farm- A 20-acre, family-owned farm where you and your family can take an educational tour and interact with alpacas, donkeys, cows, horses, and a pig.
- Lake Junaluska- There are several walking trails around the beautiful lake, and there is the Dam Park, which is pet-friendly for your furry family member. You can also go kayaking or canoeing on the lake or take your youngest kids to the playground. No matter what you decide to do, Lake Junaluska has numerous opportunities for fun physical activity for the whole family.
- Haywood’s Historic Farmers Market- Walk around to see local vendors and the different things they have to offer. Whether it’s fresh produce, flowers, baked goods, or crafts, there’s certain to be something there that pleases the eye and taste buds.
- The Ten Acre Garden- Located in Canton, this farm has used environmentally friendly and organic methods for decades. Enjoy berry picking as a family, gathering fresh fruits and veggies, flowers, or on Saturday nights, enjoy the pizza from the wood-burning oven. Then you can come back in July to enjoy the sunflower maze.
- Buffalo Creek Vacations- Located in Clyde, this 65-acre piece of property is where buffalo roam freely. You can rent a luxury cabin or a refurbished train caboose and sip your morning coffee as the buffalo come in for their morning breakfast. You and your family can have a spring vacation that will truly be unforgettable.
- Fishing- Kids under the age of 16 don’t need a fishing license, and it’s pretty easy to go online and get yours. After making sure you are properly licensed, you may want to check out local bait shops and the many places to go fishing in and around Waynesville, NC.
- Waterfall Hopping- Take some time with the family for a day tour through the beautiful waterfalls that the Great Smokies have to offer. Beginning with Looking Glass Falls in Waynesville. Then check out other waterfalls close by, such as Sliding Rock, Moore Cove Falls, Daniel Ridge Falls, Log Hollow Falls, Cove Creek Falls, and Slick Rock Falls.
- Waynesville Recreation Center- From parks and greenways to sports fields, Waynesville Recreation Center holds the perfect locations for physical activity for the whole family.
Ideas for Rainy Days
We know not every spring day is sunshine and warm weather. Especially in April, there will be rainy days. Don’t let that fool you into thinking there’s nothing you can do as a family when the rain is falling.
There is still so much that Waynesville has to offer for rainy day family outings:
- Cradle of Forestry Exhibit Hall and Science Lab
- Fantasy Golf and Game Room
- Haywood Arts Regional Theater
- Maggie Valley Puzzle Rooms
Even on rainy days, there are fun things to do. However, you can also make the most of your day by having a family movie day, game day, or doing puzzles at home. You don’t have to go out to have family bonding time. You just have to be intentional to spend time together.
Haywood Christian Academy
At Haywood Christian Academy, we know how important family time is. After all, family dynamics are going to be the foundation for a child’s education. We believe that partnering with families, not working separately, will give children the best education possible and set them up for the most successful future.
Family, Community, Relationships are the most important things when it comes to the influence on the emotional and mental state of a child. If we can seek to build good ones, then we know we are steering the next generation in the right direction.
Christ is the center of everything at Haywood Christian Academy, and if you are looking for that in your child’s education, we’d be happy to talk to you about the opportunities we offer for you and your child here. You can learn more about us on our website, and if you want to call and talk with us personally, you can call us at 828-627-0229.