Private or Public School?
There is a lot to consider when choosing between private or public schools. At the end of the day, you have to choose what is best for you and your family.
Though we have made a list below of the pros of both private and public schools, it’s up to you to do your own research. What we talk about below is what tends to be the case the majority of the time; however, what we have below may not be true of the schools in your immediate vicinity.
Pros for Public
In the case you may be concerned that we’re going to lean more towards the pros of a private school, we want to first start off by sharing the pros of public schools. We absolutely believe that there are some really great benefits to public schools, and they shouldn’t be overlooked.
- Public schools tend to be more racially, economically, and socially diverse. It’s great for children to be surrounded by people who are different from them. It’s a better representation of the world around us and teaches them how to love others who are not like them.
- The same curriculum as any other public school, so no matter where your child goes, they will have relatively the same courses and teaching to meet standardized testing. This works well for people who have to move around a lot (some people also opt for homeschooling because of this as well).
- Oftentimes a larger amount and variety of academics and extracurriculars since there are more students.
- Free transportation, free textbooks, free and reduced meals, and free before/after school programs. This gives some parents the time to save up for college and not have to worry about large educational expenses just yet.
- Primarily focused on core subjects and less on arts and extracurriculars. Though there are more extracurricular activities to choose from typically, they are less prized among the state education system because they want their children to focus on the main school subjects for testing.
Pros for Private
Being a private school ourselves, we do have a little more insight and knowledge about the pros of private school. Though the list may be longer, that doesn’t mean that it is better.
That which we have listed below is what one would experience at Haywood Christian Academy.
- Fewer students in each class, so there is more individual attention.
- More physical activity and better quality/healthier foods.
- More teachers report enjoying their job.
- Modern and Newer resources and textbooks are often hard to get funding for in public schools.
- Stronger academic demands. 21% of public school teachers are sending their children to private schools because of their education. There are tailored learning programs and personalized mentoring.
- Fewer concerns with behavioral issues because of higher honor codes and behavioral expectations so as to produce mature adults of character.
- Options for better alignment with values like your faith
- Stronger student-parent-teacher relationship. Most private schools pride themselves on keeping an open line of communication with their students and their parents. This allows more involvement for parents in their child’s education.
- More freedom to invest in the arts, where there is limited funding in public schools for the arts
- Children who attend private schools are twice as likely to attend college.
Every school district and local education system is different. Some public schools may offer more or less or be better or worse for your child.
The same can be true of private schools. Though there are a lot of good ones out there, there are also some that pale in comparison to their surrounding public schools.
There is no cookie-cutter answer as to if private or public schools are better, but there is an answer to if private or public school is better for YOU and YOUR child.
Haywood Christian Academy
Haywood Christian Academy is a non-denominational, private Christian K-12 school in Waynesville, NC. Christ is the center of everything we do. We love our students, we love their parents, and we love this community.
If you or someone else you know have any interest in Haywood Christian Academy, feel free to reach out to us. You can explore our website or call us at 828-627-0229. We’d be more than happy to talk with you about our school and what we offer. We will walk with you every step of the way as you try to make the decision on if Haywood Christian is best for you and your child.